Office Fitness Talks by Larry Swanson
If you need an engaging motivational speaker for your professional association meeting, workplace wellness lecture series, or similar event, consider booking me for an Office Fitness Talk. All talks are backed by thorough scientific research and are delivered with passion and enthusiasm.
For a glimpse of my presentation style, watch this five-minute Ignite Seattle talk on standing desks for a capacity crowd (about 800 people, all of whom stood for the talk) at Town Hall Seattle.
Helping Office Workers Become More Fit
By now, you’ve read the stories about the research on how deadly sitting is. The scariest finding: Sedentary work days take years off of your life, regardless of how fit you are or how much you exercise after work.
Office workers need to become routinely active at work, not just sporadic exercisers after work. They can also benefit from:
- exercise regimens designed to counteract the hazards of a sitting job
- ergonomics self-assessment information and tools, and
- posture-improving practices
These three areas – exercise, ergonomics, and posture – are the pillars of office fitness.
“Office Fitness Talks” help organizations and individuals incorporate these pillars of fitness, as well as other self-care measures, into their office-work routines. Each talk includes:
- scientific rationale and other relevant and interesting background information
- practical instruction on how to implement the practices and develop better workday habits
- guided hands-on practice
Talk attendees leave with new fitness practices that they can start using right away (and with follow-on materials that they can refer back to). All talks are backed by extensive research and emphasize do-it-yourself and other low-budget implementations.
- “Overview of Office Fitness”
- “How Sitting Kills: A Scientific Look at the Risks of Sedentary Behavior”
- “Fit AT Work: Exercises You Can Do at Your Desk/in Your Office”
- “Fit FOR Work: Exercises to Counteract Office Work Patterns”
- “Ergonomics Self-Assessment for Desk Workers”
- “Cultivating Good Posture with Body Awareness and Exercise”
- “Self-Care for Office Workers” (one or more of these topics: nutrition, stress management, sleep hygiene, self-massage, etc.)
- “Your Office Fitness Support Team: When and How to Seek Professional Help”
Talks can be delivered as a 20- to 30-minute brown-bag-lunch talk, as a more formal 40- to 50-minute keynote presentation, or in a 2- to 6-hour workshop format. Multi-session series of talks, which can be customized to address your organization’s unique needs, are also available.
To book a talk or to learn more, contact me at officefitness (at) larryswanson (dot) com or fill out my speaker request form.
About Larry Swanson
Larry Swanson is a certified personal trainer, licensed massage therapist, and long-time speaker and presenter. A 12-year career in book publishing wrecked his low back, which led to years of medical research and self-care, culminating in enrollment in massage school. Over a 14-year massage career in downtown Seattle, he has helped hundreds of office workers cope with the vagaries of desk work. Larry’s interest in office fitness originally arose from the pain patterns, posture issues, and ergonomic challenges he observed in those clients. When he discovered how deadly sedentary behavior is, he also became certified as a personal trainer to learn more about exercise and how to motivate people to move more. Larry has presented to thousands of people over the past 25 years, from small break-out sessions to large auditorium talks, from classroom trainings to conference education sessions. He is the author of the forthcoming book Office Fitness: Tame Your Pain and Lengthen Your Life with Better Workday Health Habits.
“Larry delivered a passionate, informative talk at Ignite Seattle 18 in November 2012 that inspired the crowd to think harder about how they work – and how it affects their health.”
Seattle Times and GeekWire Columnist, Ignite Seattle Emcee
“Our indexing chapter brought in Larry to speak about office fitness. It’s obvious that he puts much passion and study into what he does as a massage therapist, and for overall wellness. He’s very knowledgeable on the subject matter pertaining to folks who work at desks and in front of computers for a living, and brings a deep background and facility to sessions so such workers can avoid injury and stay healthy. As a technical writer concerned with such matters, I highly recommend Larry.”
Vice President, Pacific Northwest chapter of the American Society for Indexing
- In Praise of Napping at Work, Toastmasters, February 2013
- Build Your Own Standing Desk, Ignite Seattle, November 2012
- Posture at Your Desk, Medical Dental Building, October 2012
- Ergonomics Self-Assessment, Medical Dental Building, September 2012
- Exercise FOR Work, Medical Dental Building, August 2012
- Exercise AT Work, Medical Dental Building, July 2012
- A Holistic Look at Office Fitness, PNW/ASI, June 2012
- DIY Standing Desks, Seattle Maker Faire, June 2012
- Coping with a Sitting Job, WSPMAA, April 2012
- Sitting Kills: A Fact-Finding Report, Toastmasters, 2011
- Office Fitness, WordPress Meetup, September 2011
- The Ergonomics of Sitting, Toastmasters, June 2011
- Ergonomics in the Workplace, WSPMAA, April 2011
Book Larry for an Office Fitness Talk.